Sephora’s Baby Brother, Miles (Part 2)

After arriving at the hospital on Wednesday, May 8 at 10pm, we checked in to triage and were placed in a room to be hooked up to the monitors.  These monitors measure the frequency and intensity of the contractions and the baby’s heart rate.  Around midnight (May 9), we were informed that my contractions were indeed regular enough to be admitted.  We were staying!  Our little boy was going to be born at some point in the next day or so!  One of the nurses escorted us to our labor and delivery room down the hall.  We met my nurse for the night shift, Kimberly, who was such a sweetheart!  She had curly red hair, a nose ring, and the most gentle spirit I’ve met in a long time.  She encouraged us to try to get some sleep because this process was probably going to take some time.  Chris and I were definitely going to take advantage of the sleeping time because we’d been so active the entire day before, and it was 1:45am!  We took her advice since I still wasn’t experiencing any pain at this point, even though my contractions were 5 minutes apart and I was 1 centimeter dilated.

As we were literally crawling into bed, I’m standing right next to the bed at this point, I hear ::pop::  ::whoosh::!!!  My water just broke ALL OVER THE FLOOR!  “Wow!  So that’s what that feels like,” I said while laughing hysterically!  The first contraction after my water broke was NO LAUGHING MATTER.  Wow.  It was definitely game on now!  I rocked on the birthing ball, slow danced with Chris, showered for a bit…and then the back labor started!  Kimberly encouraged me to rest on my hands and knees to try to get Miles to flip from face up to face down.  This would make the back labor go away.  It took almost 2 hours for him to flip, but finally he did.  I was exhausted by this time.  We’d been awake for almost 24 hours.  I wanted to sleep, but there was no sleeping through those contractions!  To my discontent, Kimberly and Chris convinced me to lay in bed where I in fact did fall asleep in between contractions.  This was the most annoying part of labor in my opinion.

Now 5am, I was beginning to break.  I was losing control of my mind and was starting to quit this whole labor process.  I remember thinking to myself, “There is no way in H*** I’m ever doing this again.”  I knew that was a lie, so I didn’t speak it out loud for anyone else to hear.  I did however, notify Chris and Kimberly that I wanted the epidural as soon as I was able to get it.  I gave labor my best shot, but I couldn’t wrap my mind around the pain anymore.  Finally, at 8:30am, after tracking down the anesthesiologist, the epidural was administered.  After about 3 contractions, the medication was doing its job and I was almost smiling again.  Once I was comfortable, my midwife came to check me, and told us we were 5 centimeters!  We were definitely making progress, and would meet our precious little Miles soon!

The gang's all here!

The gang’s all here!

After the epidural kicked in, we finally started calling family and friends to notify them that Baby Miles would be here by day’s end.  My parents and brother came to “hang out” with us in labor and delivery for the day.  Miles started to have some heart decels (slowing of the heart rate) throughout the course of the night and during the day as I labored.  They wanted to give me pitocin to make my contractions more intense and closer together, but each time the nurse tried to hook it up, his heart rate would drop again.  At one point, his heart dropped into the 60s and they were about to take me back for an emergency c-section.  Thankfully, that scary moment didn’t last too long, and his heart rate did recover.  From that point on, they had me wear an oxygen mask to ensure he was getting enough good oxygen to keep him stable.

My midwife came in to check me around 11:30am when his heart rate had recovered from the last 60 decel, because they were extremely concerned for his safety.  She and the nurse both looked at us and said, “Your contractions are still too far apart to make good change, but I’ll check you anyway.”  She looks up at me with a big smile and told me we were fully dilated and ready to go!  I looked at Chris and I bawled.  Finally!  After the life and loss of our precious little Sephora Angeline, our “Beautiful Angel,” we finally would get to meet her baby brother!!

It's go time!  Daddy is psyched!

It’s go time! Daddy is psyched!

James 1:12 – God blesses those who patiently endure testing and temptation.  Afterward they will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.


One thought on “Sephora’s Baby Brother, Miles (Part 2)

  1. I read your story on March 28, 2014. God bless your family and keep you faithful to His Word and to each other. I was so touched.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s